Wednesday, October 24, 2012

You don't have WHAT?

    Every once in a while, I will get someone who asks me if I have a boyfriend.  This is a common question considering my age.  After all, there are not very many seniors in high school who have never dated.
     I usually just say, "Oh, nope, I don't.  I don't have time for a boyfriend right now with high school and college future."  This is true, but today when I was thinking about this on the way to work, I formulated this answer, with the help of Joshua Harris.


      Actually, I don't have a boyfriend.  I believe that, if God is calling me to the vocation of marriage, then somewhere out there, He is preparing a guy to be my future husband, similarly to how He is preparing me to be a future wife.  
     Right now, as a high school senior, I don't need my future husband to be my boyfriend.  I want him to be a mature, young, Catholic man who is able to utilize the blessing of the season of singleness to prepare to be a Godly husband and father.  
     On the other hand, I don't want or need to be some guy's girlfriend.  I need to be a mature, young, Catholic woman who is able to utilize my blessing of being a single person so that I can prepare to be a Godly wife and mother.  
     With both of us working towards preparing our hearts for the other, how awesome is it going to be when God brings us together   Both of us will be prepared mentally, physically, financially, emotionally, and most importantly, spiritually for each other!
      With a courting relationship, we can enter into a discernment of marriage together with eternity in mind.  When you put your future relationship in the light of this, having a guy to hold your hand and take you out to a movie just for the sake of having a boyfriend seems unnecessary, especially at this point in my life.

     The Bible tells us that there is a season for everything.  Right now, there is a calling to a season of singleness   Being single isn't a disease - it's a beautiful gift in which we can use our "lesser restrictions" to give more time to glorify God in a way we won't be able to do so again in our lives. 

Thoughts or comments?

God Bless,

Chloe M.  
      
     

No comments:

Post a Comment