Thursday, August 9, 2012

On The Record Thursdays:
An Interview with
David








David is currently attending the Seminary of Christ the King in BC, Canada.  He enjoys biking, chess, and hiking, and also reading C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien. 

Mountaintop:  What was your first indication that you had a calling to the priesthood?




David: My first indication that I had a calling to a priesthood was my unfulfilled life. I felt like there was something lacking in my lifestyle. Even though I was happy and doing everything I wanted, something lacked with in me. Through prayer, a visit to the Seminary I currently attend and speaking to my parents, I finally realized that God is calling me to the priesthood. That, I knew, would be the only thing that would fulfill me.


Mountaintop:  Who are some of the people who inspire you to follow God's will about your vocation?



David:  One for sure, would be the rector of my Seminary: Fr. Peter OSB.  His willingness to truly find God's will for them is extraordinary! His lectures to the seminarians and visitors are astounding and really display God's love for us. His inspirational speeches to us really enticed me to follow God's will for me to the priesthood.

Mountaintop:  Do you have any advice for young Catholics discerning a religious vocation?


David: My advice for young Catholics discerning their vocation is to not be lazy. Being lazy is the worst thing one can do to better prepare themselves for what God wants. You don't make yourself ready for action, your are not putting any initiative into what God wants, making your vocation more difficult to discern. Keep up with your prayers, and try to NEVER be idle.


Mountaintop: 
You're at the beginning of a vocational journey -- how many years will it be before you are ordained? What are you doing to strengthen yourself, and what intention of yours can we pray for?     




David: 
Since I am in a minor seminary, it will be literally a lifetime more till I get ordained! I have about 12 more years in the seminary (4 years in high school; 4 in arts and another 4 in philosophy in theology.)
     I sincerely hope I will pursue the priesthood with my whole heart, through all those years. Even though I know it will be extremely difficult, spiritually, physically and mentally, I know that at the end, it will be an extreme relief. That is what gives me hope.
     I would really appreciate it if you could pray for my and all seminarians' battle with purity. Most seminarians have a harder time with purity than laymen, due to the fact that they cannot get married, have relationships, and do not see and speak with girls often (Absence makes the heart grow fonder!) With that also, after being excluded from society for about 9 months, coming back into society will be very hard, as so many temptations come that didn't come in the seminary.
     If you could pray for our pure and chaste lives, through the Immaculate Heart of Mary, I (and don't even mention Jesus and Mary!) would really love it.
 





Mountaintop:  What excites you about the priesthood?




David:  Knowing that one day I can become a priest and consecrate bread into God himself, helping parishioners through confession and lecturing, and so much more, really gives me that push, that certain sense of expectation which gives me hope.

Mountaintop:  Any last parting piece of advice on something we weren't able to cover?


David: I already said this, but I really need to emphasize this point: DON'T BE LAZY! Being lazy really adversely affects everyone's vocation (not just only to the priesthood, but to other vocations as well.) I could go on for hours on this, but just to name a few, laziness encourages unchaste lives, unhealthy bodies (you need to be fit to have a good vocation), encourages less praying, fights with friends and family, your reputation, your image, your own mind, the people involved in your vocation, and ultimately God. Remember, an idle mind is the devil's workshop! Never be lazy, never, never, never. I will continue to pray for you and you shall pray for me! God bless!


Do you have any questions? Comments? Would YOU like to be interviewed and share your faith story?  Leave a comment below!

Thanks and God Bless all of you!

Chloe M.

p.s.  Sorry for the lack of post yesterday, "Why Do Catholics...Wednesday" post will be late by a few days.  Thanks for your patience!

No comments:

Post a Comment